Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about the people who show up. You know who I’m talking about. They are the ones you can always count on. They are there for you whether you asked them to be there or not. Unlike the people who ask you how your planning is coming along with well wishes and a smile, but stop short of attending the event, these folks register in advance to be there and sit in the front row to cheer you on.
People who show up are…
- Present. Those who show up exhibit their support by attending the events in which you are involved and/or that matter to the community. They take the time to be there, in person, as a demonstration of their commitment.
- Interested. These kind friends remember the finer points. They stay on top of the goings on in your life and check in from time to time. Despite being busy themselves, they communicate how important you are in their lives by asking about the things that are important to you.
- Generous. Those committed few give, give, give. Yes, time… but also dollars and resources. You can spot them from afar because you will notice that they sponsored you for the charity 10K that you are running on behalf of your favorite organization… or they purchased a table at that organization’s gala… or they donated 100 widgets to the not-for-profit organization in which you are involved. You’ll see them in the details because they show up.
- First in Line. Because they showed up, these individuals are top of mind when opportunities become available. They have proven their value by being present, being in the know, being generous. Though they expected nothing in return, often the gifts – tangible and intangible – they reap are of immeasurable value.
- Happiest. Nobody forgets those who show up. They get noticed. They are appreciated. They are adored. Because of all that and since they are present, interested and generous, they are also happy.
Who are the folks in your life who show up? Who are the ones you can count on no matter what? How about you… are you the type who shows up? Is there someone for whom you are more inclined to show up for? Get to it! They are counting on you.
2 thoughts to “Show Up”
Wow! You have most definitely given me a reason to pause and reflect on my supporting roles my friend! Thank you for the nudge!
Great stuff Alana. We should talk sometime soon. I have been spending a lot of time thinking about the same thing! How can you show up at your best.