“Keep on the lookout for novel and interesting ideas that others have used successfully. Your idea has to be original only in its adaptation to the problem you’re currently working on.”Thomas Edison
In his work on creative thinking, Roger von Oech encourages us to “borrow ideas” from others. In that spirit, having borrowed a bunch of ideas, I am delighted to share those ideas with you in the form of my annual Holiday Gift Guide: Networking Edition. I’m particularly excited about this year’s selections as I have seen them bring joy to recipients of every age over the past several months. See what you think…
- A Whack on the Side of the Head – 25th Anniversary Edition by Roger von Oech. All month long, I’ve been touting the genius of von Oech. I encourage you to read him for yourself and share his brilliance with others.
- Think Board. What a great entrepreneurial story! Think Board was born in a Babson College (Go Beavers!) dorm room by then sophomore, Hanson Grant, and now serves as the founder’s full-time, post-graduate gig. Think Board products essentially turn any surface into a white board and are available in a variety of sizes and price points. They allow dreamers to dream… creators to create… writers to write… you get the idea!
- Art.com. Do you find yourself corresponding with someone over Zoom on the regular who still has not outfitted his/her office space with a cool backdrop? Help them to liven up their actual office space with a piece from Art.com – the possibilities are endless, the styles and themes are vast, you can send it with or without a frame, and gift certificates are available. (I sent someone a poster of Picasso’s “The Dog” as a gift and it was met with great satisfaction!)
- Monogramed Stadium Blanket. Last May, I purchased these soft, cozy, oversized sweatshirt stadium blankets for every graduating senior I knew – they loved them! I think they make wonderful gifts for anyone and the monogram gives it a personal touch. You can order them through the SEmbroideredBoutique on Etsy – the service is terrific and the price is right!
- Desktop Ring Light. I have touted the brilliance (pun intended) of the ring light ever since the start of the pandemic – I still think they are essential for those of us who spend any time at all on video calls. This particular light is compact and fits nicely on top of an office, home or dorm room desk.
- TableTopics Box. With plenty of topics to choose from, these lucite cubes are packed with question cards help to start great conversations. My pick for professional gift giving is the original set – now with a 10th anniversary edition.
- Spoonful of Comfort. One of my favorite year-round gifts to send to family and friends who just moved, are recovering from surgery or illness, are grieving a loss, or simply need a pick me up is a delicious box from Spoonful of Comfort which typically includes homemade soup, soft dinner rolls, scrumptious cookies, and a few other goodies. They would make beautiful holiday gifts, too! Through their Corporate Giving Program, you will receive 15% off when you register your company. Apparently, corporate members also receive logo customization, a personal account concierge, mailing list and shipping management, and bulk orders in one invoice. Yummy and convenient!
Happy Giving! Happy Networking!