This is no joke! When you hear opportunity knocking, it’s up to you to answer the call.
Creative Think’s Roger von Oech reminds us that we are educated to solve problems; not recognize opportunities. We must stay vigilant so that we see them when they present themselves. And, it’s not about being lucky… it turns out, it is up to each of us to make our own luck.
We can maximize our chances of getting that knock on the door by doing the following:
- Be Prepared. Luck is a result of hard work, preparedness and focus. By being prepared, by expecting to be positioned for opportunity, you will be at the ready when you get that knock and more likely to hear it. Consider setting a goal or two; make them SMART (specific, measurable, actionable, realistic and time bound) if you can. Write them down to document your commitment to accomplishment.
- Chunk it down. Think about possible steps you may need to take to achieve your objectives.
- Connect. Identify three to five people who may be able to help you on your journey – reach out to them. Ask them for the names of others who may also be able to help.
- Look for your opportunities. Put on your game face. Don an optimistic, positive disposition. Rely on yourself. You can do this. Others can help. Make your own luck.
- Hold yourself accountable. If you are going to set a goal, it is your responsibility to hold yourself accountable for ensuring it is met. Things not going your way? Iterate and advance. At each step along the way decide whether to pursue as you are or alter your approach in order to move forward with your plans. It’s completely fair game to change directions – even slight modifications based on new information you receive can be helpful.
No doubt, as you seek to collect combination of moments, a series of tiny, meaningful interactions with a variety of people, places and things, opportunity will certainly present itself and your efforts will culminate in unimagined glory! Oh, and think of the stories you will have to tell.